Saturday 20 July 2013

In Defence of Nerf Holsters


There's an adage in some parts of the Humans versus Zombies community that you will die with your primary in your hands. I respectfully disagree. I will die with my jammed or empty primary slung from my shoulder and an empty or jammed sidearm firmly in my grip. Why? Because I've worked with my team over the last 6 months to make the best damn tactical gear we can and the MkII and MkIII holsters are the pinnacle of that work.

Masterkeys are often a solution to not being able to carry a second blaster for what ever reason. I don't like the idea that gluing/bolting/otherwise affixing another blaster to your blaster is the way to go for a number of reasons. First, I'd like to be able to use my blasters in any way I see fit. If I need my Strongarm for going to lectures then I don't want to have to buy another one because my main one is on the bottom of a Retaliator barrel. Second, if your primary is pointing one way, with a Masterkey, so is your secondary. I have seen so many of our holster users break out of corners because they were able to quick draw from our MkII holster, down the incoming threat and move. Two targets at once, maximum flexibility and maximum survivability.

The other problem with Masterkeys is modding skill. It takes time to learn how to make them. With a holster, I can teach its use in 2 minutes. Granted it takes time to be fully proficient mine but that's practice and it applies to any gear you carry. An improperly done Masterkey can be deadly to the player or, worse, unsafe to those in the game.

The MkII and MkIII holsters are our best selling products. At LARP events and other times when we get together with UK Nerfers, we're known as the guys with the holsters. It irks me a little (we do other stuff too!) but if that's what we're known for because we do it best then I'm happy with it. When they're in use, they're popular and effective. I've seen many a player saved by timely deployment of his/her properly carried side arm.

We will continue to make them as long as people continue to need them. A holster is for life, not just for looking good and it will save your backside plenty of times. :)

- Mike, BSUK MD

NOTE: Remember, I'm writing this as a MD for a company that makes these, bear in mind my bias but also remember that I've given 6 months of my life to it and I wouldn't do that without reason. :)

2 comments:



  1. My primary for next year is a masterkeyed Rapidstrike/roughcut combo. Reason im running a slightly odd combo is that I physically dont have the co-ordination to run a holster style setup due to a long standing condition which means im not the best with my hands and have pretty terrible reaction times which resulted in me barely lasting 2 hrs of the last weeklong with my strongarm/EAT(darn OZs). However its a completely impractical weapon outside of missions due to size etc (wandering into lectures with it would just look weird) - So I have a firestrike and will have a Hammershot to take care of getting around campus safely ;)-

    Quick question Mike - have you guys ever had issues with campus security and holsters etc - just slightly worried that I would buy one and then be stopped from using it by security because of how it looks

    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, forgot I left comments on here. :) When we play HvZ, we play exclusively indoors in our Student's Union so I have no frame of reference, I'm afraid. We recommend that you be careful with your equipment and talk to your institution with these matters if you have concerns.

    -Mike, Blastersmiths UK

    ReplyDelete